Wednesday, October 11, 2017

[TSOM-Announce] Desperados Spirit

Dear Tango Friends,

 

I barely know how to begin.

What started as an modest impulse to be helpful has been transformed by your incredible spirit into something amazing.  You have demonstrated such warmth of heart, willingness to help, and generosity in action, that you are truly endeared to me and to our neighbors in Puerto Rico.  I am honored to be in your company, and grateful to call you my community.

 

Let’s just recap, shall we?

Our neighbors get slammed with disaster. (ugh)

I get an itch to help, and after several failed attempts using various ointments to make it go away, I become contagious.

Thinking we might raise a couple of hundred dollars. I share the impulse with friends in our community.. (Scott, Augusto, Morgan, Diana, Paul, Guillermo, you…your tango friends..)

You go all bananas on it!

We end up having one hell of a night of dancing and sharing!

 

My goal was to try to use up some of the $700 in matching funds remaining through BSC.

Your goal: make my brain explode!

Who won?  All of us!

 

In what was maybe my happiest and proudest evening in our community, we raised $1700 to help our neighbors in need!! 

And yes, my brain did explode.  (But it remains undead… yes. Not fully dead yet.) Here’s how I know:

After exploring all the company matching possibilities, I submitted our $1700.01 (Yeah, the penny was mine) through the Boston Scientific Donation page today. With judicious use of all their programs, we qualified for $1500.00 in matches.

Yep. Let’s count that:  1700 +1500!

Together, we managed to deliver $3200 in donations !

Wholly amazing!

 

At this point, I want to mention everyone that helped, contributed, and donated.  Of course that’s really all of you, and I’ll fail in the attempt. But every one of you had a hand in this, and you should feel real satisfaction.

I do wish to especially thank Morgan for pulling so many details together last week whilst I jigged and played the tin whistle in Ireland (these business trips are quite difficult..)

I also want to acknowledge Augusto for challenging me to be imaginative and helpful, and to thank Paul and Janine for bringing great cake and holding the event together.

A proper who’s who of amazing will include all of you who came, and all of you who helped, and definitely Julia who broke the bank.. but it might just start with Jennifer Wang (who’s currently wrestling with Charlie for top spot, but my money’s on her ‘till his foot is fully sorted). So I’m just going to say a wholly inadequate, “thank you Jennifer” for making the magic for us and sharing your great energy!

 

Finally, I thank the teachers and organizers who believed in this cause and in you.  They gave generously so you could too.   Augusto, Lois, Miriam, Sabine, Diana, Guillermo, and Luciana are very much appreciated for their generosity and support.

 

All of you have shown us the best side of our community, and I am humbled by your spirit.

 

Michael, Scott, and you friends at

 

Tango Desperados

                                                           

The Eagles Aerie
25th Avenue and 25th Street
Southeast Minneapolis
Map

Small Ballroom, Monday Evenings, 7:30 p.m. until 10:00 ish!

Drop-In Rate -- $5.00
Quarterly, 13-Week Subscription Rate -- $40.00

 

No comments:

Post a Comment