Tuesday, December 11, 2018

[TSOM-Announce] Tango with Loisa: Back from Buenos Aires!!

Classes, workshops, events in tango this week

Regular Group Lessons Class and Event Calendar
  • Tuesday: Beginning Tango 6:30-7:45PM - Intermed: 7:45-9 PM
  • Thursday: Advanced tango, 7:30-9PM 
  • Saturday: Beginning tango 10:00 - 11:30AM
  • Regular Saturday workshops in essential topics
Regular Public Dances
Classes this Week:  I am back from Buenos Aires! Come to classes this month. I have a lot of cool things to show you!  Right when I am back from Buenos Aires, I have a renewed fervor to show you all the important things that you need to dance tango well when you go. Or just if you want to dance tango well. I'm fired up! Now is a great time to come back to classes if you have been away for awhile. Come back and get a full dose of my overflowing enthusiasm, and some great new techniques to make your tango wonderful.

Private Lessons:  Scheduling now! Also, don't forget a gift certificate for that special dance partner. Or that couple you know who just announced their engagement. Or that person who needs dance in their life (isn't that everybody?) Any amount can be arranged. 

Tuesday Milonga: Always a fun time, and these next weeks will be particularity fun. Tomorrow, Dec 11th, the theme is Buenos Aires! We will have some of the food I brought back, some of the wine I brought back, and of course we will tell some of the stories we brought back!! Wear sky blue and white, with a splash of yellow like the Argentine flag. Next week: It's Winter Solstice, the longest night of the year. Let's celebrate with a Pajama Party! And we are not closing on Christmas Day, but instead of class, we will just have the party.

I am planning a series of classes on West Coast Swing for Tango Dancers in January. Contact me for details and to sign up!

Musings: So much has changed in the Buenos Aires milonga scene since I first went in 1998. At first I saw hardly any change, but then as more tourists came, we saw more "tourist milongas", those places where the tango tourist would go and dance the strange type of tango that they learned in their home country, and the serious Buenos AIres tango dancers would go only to solicit students or dates. Now some of the conventions that have become common in the US milongas have seeped into the Buenos Aires milongas. Tandas are often only 3, not 4 songs. Men and women are seated close by each other, even sometimes at the same table. The milongas only last 3 or 4 hours, rather than 6 to 7. Women change their shoes at the table even at the best milongas. I miss many of the old conventions, but I don't mind the men sitting closer, as my eyesight gets worse. I am glad that the music has not changed, and stays traditional. And I am glad that the embrace stays the same, and close connected dancing is how it is done. I don't think that will change. I think the strong women of Buenos Aires would be quite angry if men started to push them into an open embrace to do some "move" they haven't learned yet in close embrace!  
Dance Boutique

Tango Boutique!

Clothes, shoes and accessories for the dancer.  Clothes that fit, stay on, have color, flow beautifully, with real style.  And great prices! Shoes from $40 to $150, including some great values in preowned.  All clothes under $100. Come and shop during parties and get an unbiased opinion from seasoned tango dancers. :)
Buenos Aires milonga

Buenos Aires!

Time to plan for 2018 if you want to go on my tour! The 2018 trip will be in November to December. Pick the dates that work for you and let me know so I can arrange housing. I'll need to know for sure, with a deposit, by the end of July 2018. Limited space is available, so that I can give you the attention you deserve. We have so much fun! See the website for more info.
Copyright © 2019 Dance with Lois Donnay, All rights reserved.
Our address is:
Dance with Lois Donnay
Minneapolis, MN 55408

Add us to your address book
 612.822.8436



Loisa Donnay
612.822.8436
www.mndance.com

No comments:

Post a Comment